I had the chance to have a phone conversation with ALD™ Utah/Nevada League member Shane Bell just before Christmas. He is one of many diehard members we have in our leagues and one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. He is always ready to chat it up with other hitters, as well as help in any way he can. Let’s see what he had to say.
1. How long have you been competing in long drive? How long in Amateur Long Drive™?
I’ve been competing in both Long Drive and ALD for 2 years now.
2. What do you like most about it? What draws you to the sport?
The people you meet. The friendships that are established are amazing. Visiting places around the country are priceless. What draws me to the sport is the adrenaline rush you get when getting up on the tee and swinging away. It cannot be explained with words.
3. What is a typical practice session like for you when you go to a driving range?
I start out by stretching out really good. Then I warm up by swinging a few shots with each of the irons PW through 5 iron before grabbing the LD driver and hitting a couple hundred balls. (Yes he said “a couple hundred balls”)
4. How much do you like traveling to different events to compete? We know you are an ALD “road tripper”.
Traveling and competing in different events around the country has been such a awesome experience. There are so many talented and great people in the sport.
5. What are you looking forward to in 2021?
ALD is growing very rapidly. I’m looking forward to competing in some of the new venues being established. I also am excited about meeting and hitting against new and upcoming Long Drivers.